Since 2010, First Covenant Church has been pleased to host a 50-bed emergency homeless shelter in partnership with Hennepin County and, most recently, St. Stephen’s Human Services. This year, we’ve shifted from a 6-month, winter overflow shelter to a year-round operation, giving priority to adult women experiencing homelessness. Our partnership with St. Stephens has also brought significantly more client resources to the space. We are excited for all of the ways that these changes have better served our guests in attaining their goals of finding sustainable permanent housing!
That said, the shift from 6-month to year-round operations requires greater community engagement to provide basic hospitality for our guests, particularly in regard to our evening meals. We are looking for individuals and groups (4-6 people) to help fill the gap as we enter our first summer of operation. Would you consider gathering a few friends, family, neighbors, or co-workers to purchase, prepare and serve a meal at the First Covenant Shelter? Here’s how you can help:
- Gather a small group (4-8 people) to serve
- Choose an open date from our online calendar at www.1stcov.org/shelter
- Contact our Shelter Volunteer Coordinator to schedule your meal (see below)
- Plan a meal and purchase the food for 50 shelter guests
- Prepare the meal either at home or on-site at First Covenant
- Serve and clean up after the meal – Approximate time frame is 5:30-7:45pm, dinner served at 6:30pm
For more information or to sign up for a meal, contact our Shelter Volunteer Coordinator at [email protected].