The City plans to construct a new stormwater tunnel below Washington Avenue South
The City of Minneapolis Public Works Department will be constructing a new storm tunnel over the course of the next two years.
The goals of this project are to:
- increase the amount of stormwater the Central City tunnels can handle
- reduce the possibility of the existing tunnel failing
Additionally, a new tunnel will:
- Reduce pressure in the existing tunnel.
- Provide more room for future growth.
- Reduce the need for future repairs.
The new tunnel will be constructed parallel to an existing tunnel. The new tunnel will be located under Washington Ave. S. between Nicollet Mall and Chicago Ave.
We will enlarge the existing tunnel, which is located under Chicago Ave. between Washington Ave. S. and the Mississippi River.
About the Central City Tunnel System
The Central City Tunnel System is a system of stormwater tunnels that are built deep into the sandstone ground in Minneapolis. The tunnels are approximately 70 feet below the street surface and collect stormwater runoff for nearly all of downtown.
Traffic impacts will include temporary parking and traffic lane closure in a one-block area near each of four access points.
Pedestrian and local access will be maintained. Detour routes will be posted during construction.
Expect additional noise, dust, and vibration as crews complete work.
Tunnel access locations
During construction, four access points will be used for tunnel access and construction staging.
- Mill Ruins Park near the Mississippi River
- 2nd Ave. S., north of Washington Ave. S.
- Washington Ave. S., east of Hennepin Ave.
- Washington Ave. S., east of Portland Ave.
Aside from the four tunnel access locations, construction of the new tunnel will occur underground.
View the access locations on the map in the resources provided below:
- Central City Tunnel construction project fact sheet (2021)
- Central City Tunnel virtual public meeting presentation
For more information, please visit the project webpage on the City’s website: https://www.minneapolismn.gov/government/projects/central-city-tunnel/