Called to Order: 7:00 p.m. by PB
- Secretaries Report (PB)
- Roll Call:
- Present: George Rosenquist (GR), Paul Barber (PB),
Andy Hauer (AH), Donald Hicks (DH), Dolores Cotten (DC).
- Absent: Marsha McKinnie Davis (MKD), Mike Olson (MO).
- Guests: Peter Millington, Lake Area News; Officer
Tom Sawina, Minneapolis Police Department - S.A.F.E. Team; Linda
Robert, DMRA Community Organizer; Pat Scott, 7th Ward City Council
Member; Jeff Owens, Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA);
and various General Members.
- Minutes from the March, 21 1995 Board of Directors
meeting were approved with the following amendments:
- The spelling of Dolores Cotten's name was corrected.
- Treasurer's Report (AH)
- See Attached Report.
- Community Organizer Report (Linda Roberts)
- See Attached Report.
- S.A.F.E. Team Report (Officer Tom Sawina)
- Tom handed out the new wallet-size cards that indicate that
it is against the law to panhandle. They also indicate the addresses
of community help organizations. Posters with the same information
have also be put up in downtown.
- NRP/First Step Update (AH)
- Linda Roberts has put together a second draft Participation
Agreement and distributed it to the Downtown NRP (DNRP), Inc.
Board of Directors. The DNRP Board will review after the DMRA
- Office Partner Update (PB)
- At last month's meeting Judy had an idea that a retired resident
of the Towers could attend our meetings, take minutes, and Judy
would provide all services that required office equipment. She
would provide this person with mailing labels so they could do
some ad hoc mailings. Since then she decided that since we had
two qualified candidates, she would withdraw her proposal.
- On April 11, 1995, PB, GR, AH, and DC interviewed the two
candidates: Sally Westby and Marsha Wagner, and Kathleen Riley-Daniels.
- A motion was made and passed to contract with Sally Westby
and Marsha Wagner for a retainer of $200 per month which includes
up to seven hours of service. Hours not used will be credited
towards next month. Permission will be obtained if it appears
as if they will go over the seven hours. Motion passed.
- GR will inform the candidates of our decision and AH will
proceed with the financial details.
- Residents Information Book (AH)
- The book is finally done!
- Linda Roberts has conducted some outreach meetings in various
buildings to kickoff the distribution.
- Gittleman Management has agreed to distribute it to the doors
of the residents in the four buildings that they manage. That
will take care of around 30% of the households.
- For the remaining 70%, Peter will work with the building managers
or a resident contact to make sure they get distributed. Above
all, no building policies will be violated during distribution.
- As of now, the following buildings are known to have been
done: 314 Hennepin, Rivergate, The Crossings, and Symphony Place.
- Jeff Owens of the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs
(CURA) will be contacting the board of directors to see how our
Community Organizer is impacting our neighborhood.
- Follow Up from Annual Meeting (GR)
- Adult Businesses in the Downtown Neighborhood
- GR indicated that someone from Jackie Cherryhomes office told
him that the city had decided not to form a task force as previously
- The CIP grant from the MCDA, if approved by City Council,
should address our concerns.
- Filling Board Positions
- GR indicated that Janet Parkin did not know of anyone in
The Itasca that would be interested.
- Linda will try and recruit others from the buildings we are
not represented by during her outreach program.
- DMRA on the Internet (PB)
- Originally PB was going to set up a World Wide Web Home
Page for the DMRA on his University of Minnesota account. He
then discovered that it would be a better idea to place it on
the Minneapolis Television Network (MTN) site. MTN is offering
neighborhood groups a low cost service. They City of Minneapolis
has a site with MTN. It would be better to use them instead of
PB's personal account.
- A motion was made for PB and AH to get an Internet Account
with MTN if the annual fee is $50 or less. Motion passed.
- Election of Officers (PB)
- With Janet Parkin's departure, we need to fill the Chairperson's
- GR was nominated and elected to fill the remaining term
of the Chair.
- DH was nominated and elected to fill the remaining term
of the Vice Chair that GR just vacated.
Adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Paul Barber.