Downtown Minneapolis Neighborhood Association
Minutes from
June 12, 2001 Board of Directors Meeting

The regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors of the Downtown Minneapolis Neighborhood Association, Inc. (DMNA) was held on Tuesday, June 12, 2001 at the Minneapolis Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Room 310, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I.    Call to Order

With a quorum present, Jerrie Hayes, Chair, convened the meeting at 7:00 p.m.  Other board members in attendance included:  Monroe Bell; Larry Calhoun, Vice Chair; Rocco Forte; Glenn Johannesen; Mark Moller, Treasurer; Carletta Sweet, Secretary; and Joan Willshire.  Andrew Hauer, Rebecca Hetzler, Daniel Hunt, and Eric Mitchell were unable to attend.  Nonboard members in attendance included Dee Cotten, CCNP Restorative Justice committee member; Douglas Gardner, Administrative Assistant to Lisa Goodman, 7th Ward Council member; Sue Jahn and George Rosenquist, both of the NRP Implementation Committee; Todd Klingel, EVP, Minneapolis Downtown Council; and John Sherrell, owner of Coffee Gallery at Open Book.

II.  Introduction and Announcements

After introductions, the Chair made the following announcements: 

     The upcoming public meetings hosted by Council member Lisa Goodman regarding the Nicollet Mall LRT station.  The first to be held on Thursday, June 21, 2001 to share new design considerations and to receive input from the general public.  The second to be held on Thursday, July 25, 2001 to present to the public the preliminary design.  Each of these meetings will be held at the Central Branch of the Minneapolis Public Library, Room 310, 6:00-8:00 p.m.  Since Jack Byers of the Minneapolis Planning Department indicated only one person attended the first meeting, Mark encouraged board participation in these two upcoming meetings.

     On The Agenda dated June 4, 2001, a biweekly newsletter by the City of Minneapolis Communications Department (Attachment 1).

     The next meeting of the Minneapolis River Forum on Wednesday, June 20, 2001, 4:00‑6:00 p.m. at the MCDA Crown Roller Mill, 105 5th Avenue South, Second Floor, Conference Room 3 (Attachment 2).

     The June 2001 NRP Link containing Minneapolis Neighborhood Revitalization Program news (Attachment 3a).  The Chair indicated she would follow up with Barbara Lichness to ensure DMNA’s employment ad would be posted in the next publication.

A memo from Robert D. Miller dated May 31, 2001 announcing the availability of $4 million NRP funds over the next 4 years through an RFP process to assist public infrastructure investments, streetscape improvements, the construction of new commercial facilities, the exterior or interior rehabilitation of existing buildings and/or the redevelopment of vacant buildings (Attachment 3b).  Proposals are due September 14, 2001 to the Minneapolis NRP Commercial Area Development Reserve Fund.  The Chair indicated she would be passing this RFP to the Land Use Committee.

The May 2001 NRP Clips, a monthly summary of media coverage of the Minneapolis Neighborhood Revitalization Program (Attachment 3c). 

III.  Old Business

A.  Board Meeting Minutes

The Chair asked if there were any objections or issues to the contents of the board minutes from December 2000 to May 2001.  Glenn requested that the spelling of his name be changed from Johannensen to Johannesen wherever it appears, and Mark requested the inclusion of all attachments as referred to in each month’s minutes.  There being no objections to the contents, all minutes from December 2000 to May 2001 were adopted by unanimous consent.

B.   Committee Reports

1.  Land Use Committee Report.  After Mark distributed the June 2001 LUC report (Attachment 4), he advised the board that on June 5, 2001 the committee met to review the following projects:

        a.     CSM’s proposal for Parcel C (adjacent to the Milwaukee Depot) to comprise:  a 5-story office/retail building facing Washington Avenue South to house the headquarters of CSM Corporation and ESG Architects; a 4-story building facing Portland Avenue South to house the MacPhail Center for the Arts; 38 units of ownership housing facing South 2nd Street; and 411 stalls of underground parking.  The LUC motion to approve a Project Analysis Authorization and to grant exclusive development rights to CSM Corporation for a 6-month period was carried unanimously.

        b.     The Historic Theatre Group’s request for a loan/grant for its Hennepin Avenue Streetscape project.  The LUC will need to meet with Tom Hoch at its next meeting to gather more in-depth information in order to ascertain potential benefits and risks.  Thereafter the LUC would be in a position to make a more informed recommendation to the board at the July meeting (Attachment 5).
        c.     The University of St. Thomas’ proposed expansion for its new law school between 11th and 12th Streets and between Harmon and LaSalle Avenues.  Although this expansion is situated within DMNA’s borders (i.e., Downtown West), Mark advised the board that Citizens for a Loring Park Community has been the neighborhood organization actively involved since residents of that area believe they are most impacted.  Several board members expressed concern that DMNA should have been more actively involved in this project, however, given the number of other items currently on the board’s agenda, it was agreed that no action need be taken on this matter.

        d.     Downtown East LRT Station.  Although this project is also situated within DMNA’s borders, Mark advised the board that Elliot Park Neighborhood Inc. has been the neighborhood organization actively involved since residents of that area believe they are most impacted.  No action was taken on this matter as well.

2.  Housing Committee Report.  Glenn advised the board that he will be attending an early intervention neighborhood meeting and will give a report back to the board.

3.  Finance Committee Report.  Mark distributed the June 2001 Treasurer’s Report (Attachment 6) comprised of:

        a.  Audit request letter to Robert Miller of the NRP for fiscal years 1999 and 2000.

        b.  Proposed budget for Year 27 Citizen Participation.  Mark moved and the Chair seconded to approve said budget for June 1, 2001 to May 31, 2001.  The motion was carried unanimously.

        c.  Year 26 Citizen Participation Program’s Community Organization Report Form.  Mark moved and Monroe seconded to approve said form.  The motion was carried unanimously.

        d.  Reimbursement request for North Loop neighborhood newsletter expenses.  Mark moved and Glenn seconded to amend the original motion by striking the second sentence beginning with “Further, it authorizes the DMNA Treasurer”.  The motion as amended was carried unanimously.

        e.  Establishment of a receipts journal.  Mark advised that this journal is located at DMNA’s office in the LaSalle Plaza Building.

        f.  Directors and Officers Insurance status.  The Chair advised the board that the application has been completed and will need to add the most current Treasurer’s report.

        g.  DMNA’s checking account status.

        h.  Letter to NRP for previously approved budget changes.

        i.  Letter from Andy Hauer and Mark’s response thereto.  After Mark entertained discussion on this matter, it was agreed to postpone action until Andy was present and could offer an explanation for his request.

4.  Public Relations Committee ReportCarletta showed the new logo designs created by the Arts Institutes International students (previously emailed to the board) and solicited input from the board.  Petercat7 design was approved by majority vote with the following changes requested:  reduce the size of DMNA and the spelling out hereunder to reveal more of the skyline, sophisticate the design of the streetlamp, and match the font to the previously approved letterhead and business card designs.

     Carletta also advised the board that Monroe is still working on compiling the list of the downtown property owners in order to schedule the neighborhood focus group meetings.

5.  Ad hoc Employment Committee Report.  Mark and Jerrie are continuing their pursuit of suitable candidates.

6.  Implementation Committee Report.  Larry advised the board that Kurk Moorehead of Central Community Housing Trust (CCHT) met with him and Rocco to discuss the possibility of DMNA allocating funds to the Seville and Francis Drake housing projects.  Larry further commented that given CCHT’s track record he could not find a better organization to support on housing issues.  However he and Rocco will review Kurk’s formal proposal once obtained in order to evaluate pros and cons before making a formal recommendation to the board.

Rocco advised that he met with Sharon Lubinski and obtained a proposal on the horse patrol, however he is also pursuing proposals on the foot and bike patrol as well.  Rocco added that they’re also putting together a comprehensive plan so DMNA can ascertain the number of patrolmen employed, hours and dates occupied, and functions they serve.

IV. New Business

Todd Klingel of the Minneapolis Downtown Council came to follow up on the additional $50,000 request made to DMNA for the downtown kiosk program.  Todd advised that the MDC originally had $166,000 when combining the 911 telephone with the kiosk and signage program.  And for the past 2 years had been stalled in getting the original units purchased until NRP agreed with the vision and allocated the funds.  The good news is that technology has changed since then necessitating revising the proposal to incorporate more user-friendly and accessibility design concepts.  After Todd distributed a draft rendering of the City Centre kiosk (Attachment 7), one of the six kiosks proposed, he advised that the goal of the program is for a resident, worker or visitor to downtown be able to gain quick access to information and enjoy the experience.  The $50,000 allows for the upgraded design features and installation (hopefully before 2001 Holidazzle) of the six kiosks, maintenance costs for which will be incurred by corporate sponsorship.  The Vice Chair agreed to follow up with Barbara Lichness to ascertain the necessary steps to turn over the $50,000. 

The Chair advised that the other three neighborhoods which DMNA partners on Restorative Justice (i.e., Citizens for a Loring Park Community, Elliot Park Neighborhood Inc., and Stevens Square Community Organization) are helping to sponsor a mayoral candidates forum to talk about issues of crime and safety in the downtown and near core areas and had asked DMNA’s participation.  For public relations and housing-related purposes, the Chair responded in the affirmative their request and encouraged board members to spread the word when the forum convenes that is expected to be held in early September.

Sue Jahn advised that she and Dee Cotton are co-chairing National Night Out 2001 scheduled on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 and to be held at the Federal Reserve Bank on First Street North and Hennepin Avenue.  Sue indicated that last year’s event was a tremendous event attended by approximately 400 people including the Mayor, the Chief of Police, all the members of the City Council, as well as numerous neighborhood residents.  Sue and Dee are currently raising funds for this event and were asked to submit a budget to DMNA by the next board meeting for any funds desired and to submit all receipts or cancelled checks for any funds donated in the past for reimbursement.

Sue also notified the board that the North Loop neighborhood was sponsoring a 4th of July boat party on the Northrup riverboat on the Mississippi at $40 per person all-you-can-eat.

Mark asked the board for their interest in a summer social with guests.  After entertaining questions and suggestions, it was decided to attend The Art Institutes International Minnesota’s upcoming open house sponsored by Glenn at a date and time to be determined sometime in late August.

V. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Signed and approved by

______________________________                                    ______________________________
Chair                                                                                       Secretary

Attachment 1

[On The Agenda dated June 4, 2001]

Attachment 2

[Notification of Minneapolis River Forum meeting from Ann Calvert dated June 1, 2001]

Attachment 3a

[NRP Link]

Attachment 3b

[RFP from Robert D. Miller dated May 31, 2001]

Attachment 3c

[NRP Clips]

Attachment 4

[June 2001 Land Use Committee Report]

Attachment 5

[Memorandum from Tom Hoch dated June 11, 2001]

Attachment 6

[June 2001 Treasurer’s Report]

Attachment 7

[Rendering of City Centre kiosk]